Mail Index message

Subject: docbook-apps-digest Digest #445

Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: <beginpage /> fails with fop xsl 1.60.1
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XIncludes
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XIncludes
[Fwd: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: <beginpage /> fails with fop xsl 1.60.1]
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: NW-DBK2FO-XSLTs 1.60.1: titlepage doesn't work
 anymore
DOCBOOK-APPS: xsltproc: fox:outline element missing for TOC bookmark
 in PDF
DOCBOOK-APPS: Problems with saxon, XML Catalogs, and dbnotnx.mod
DOCBOOK-APPS: Help with customizing headers
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XIncludes
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XIncludes
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Context dependent styling of footnotes
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Chunked HTML file names too long for ISO9660
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Top border lacking on repeated table headers with xep
RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Top border lacking on repeated table headers
 with xep
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Chunked HTML file names too long for ISO9660
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: FOP: "No ImageReader" when using PDF as vector	format
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Table breaking over pages
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: image sizes
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: underline chars in tex using dsssl
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: dsl + jadetex font tweaking

Jens Skripczynski wrote:

> The docbook lists the <beginpage /> option, but it seems, that
> the xsl stylesheet does not know about this. (I have a red
> <beginpage></beginpage> in the pdf output file).

Beginpage is here for legacy purposes -- e.g. you want to mark where
page break was in printed version of document. But processing tools are
not suppoused to create pagebreaks in places where <beginpage/> occur.

You can put some PI in place where you want pagebreak:

<?page-break?>

and add something like

<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('page-break')">
  <fo:blok break-after="page"/>
</xsl:template>

Maybe we can reconsider adding support of common PIs for page and line
breaks into standard XSL stylesheets. Generally it is not good idea to
specify breaks manually, but sometimes it's reasonable solution.

> P.S.: I think it would be good to add to the index section on
>       "http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/index.html",
>       that a simple <index /> tells processor where to put the
>       index. I searched for this hint some time.
>       thx to Jirka.

This is true for XSL stylesheets, but other processing tools may behave
differently. TDG describes DocBook as general document type. Details of
processing should be specified in documentation of particular processing
tools.

			Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz

Damian Kohlfeld wrote:
> I use xerces/xalan/fop and I believe Xerces doesn't handle XIncludes at this
> time.  What would you recommend for handling XIncludes?
>
> I looked at http://xincluder.sourceforge.net, would this be the way to go?

XIncluder does a pretty good job, it has some limitations though (does not
support fragment identifiers,...), but there is an ant-task available and it
should fit nicely into your setup.

markus

Hi Damian,

I first tried xincluder but I soon found out that xmllint is more fully
featured. I use the following command to resolve all xincludes before invoking
the XSLT processor (Saxon):

xmllint --xinclude --catalogs document.xml > resolved.xml

Note that xmllint uses the SGML_CATALOG_FILES environment variable to find the
catalog(s).

The xmllint tool is part of libxml2 which is located at http://xmlsoft.org/. It
is also a very good validating XML parser; I use it the following way:

xmllint --xinclude --postvalid --noout --catalogs document.xml

/Stefan

Damian Kohlfeld wrote:
I use xerces/xalan/fop and I believe Xerces doesn't handle XIncludes at this
time. What would you recommend for handling XIncludes?

I looked at http://xincluder.sourceforge.net, would this be the way to go?

begin:vcard
n:Bylund;Stefan
tel;cell:+46 709 714 325
tel;work:+46 8 507 143 25
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ose.com
org:OSE Systems
adr:;;Nytorpsvägen 5;Täby;;183 23;Sweden
version:2.1
email;internet:steby@enea.se
title:Software Engineer
fn:Stefan Bylund