Mail Index message

Subject: docbook-apps-digest Digest #448

DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: writing a condensed form of docbook
DOCBOOK-APPS: empty tags in html transformation
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: gentext customization: remove "Abstract" and
 "Table of Contents" in HTML
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Docbook and FOP
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Slides + css problem
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XHTML Strict
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: use.id.as.filename may produce invalid filenames
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: [Stylesheets] Adding a text the *first* time
 youencounter a given element?
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XML support in Word 2002
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: MLA, APA and annotated bibliographies
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: access key customization for TOC entries
AW: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: no wonder i'm confused about the node() function
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Posts not being delivered...
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: empty tags in html transformation
DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: AW: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: no wonder i'm confused about the node() function
AW: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: AW: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: no wonder i'm confused about the node() function
Re: AW: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: AW: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
AW: AW: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: AW: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
Re: AW: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: AW: Re: Problems with ANT and DocBook
DOCBOOK-APPS: docbook -> FO via xsltproc

Markus Spath <mspath@arcor.de> writes:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   i like to write my documents and manuals in condensed
>> form, and it would be nice to quickly to go from that to final docbook.
>>

> Since you stay with the xml-syntax anyway

This sounds like a arguable requirement...  If you are interested in
minimization look for SGML minimization features!

Of course, it's also possible to "rename" elements and process the file
using DocBook stylesheets nevertheless.  Just do Architectural Forms (AF)
processing -- this will even work for XML files.

> I'd say XSLT would be a convenient way;

That's a possbility, too.  Or use the Transformation feature defined by
DSSSL.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o

	Hello,

	Instead of xhtml transformations, I prefer use common html with
an xml output, and no namespace declaration. OK, it's not correct, but
works quite correctly under NS4 _and_ IE; and very useful for later
pipes.
	The only big problem is empty tags.
	For example, I need to override the standard <a name="{@id}"/>
by a <a name="{@id}"><xsl:comment> empty </xsl:comment></a>.
	Is it a big design problem to put those kind of declarations
directly in the html *.xsl? After for a more correct xhtml, the only
thing needed, isn't it to add an xmlns="..." declaration at the root
<xsl:stylesheet/> and the correct <xsl:output/>?
	There's probably lots of things I don't see, but with the xhtml2
draft, it seems that there will be one more URI namespace.

/ Steve.Nunez@bluewave.com was heard to say:
| So with that long preamble, I'd like to ask what the state of xhtml strict
| is? Strict is a requirement of this project, and if it's not available in
| DocBook I'd certainly consider putting in the effort required to get it
| there.

I suggest instead that you simply run the output of the stylesheets
through tidy.

The principle difficulty is that DocBook is very flexible where XHTML
Strict is, well, very strict. Consider this simple example:

  <para>Here is a table of prime numbers:

    <informaltable>...</informaltable>

  The largest prime number is listed first, for your convenience.</para>

Now, it's easy to transform that into

  The largest prime number is listed first, for your convenience.</p>

But that's not valid strict XHTML. In order to make that valid, you'd
have to transform it to:

That's much more difficult to achieve in the general case. And if that's
not bad enough, the similar example:

Can't be translated into this:

Instead it has to be:

Multiply this problem by all the possible combinations in DocBook and
achieving XHTML strict in a single pass becomes so difficult that it
doesn't seem worth the effort.

The HTML cleanup code tries to correct these errors. I'd be happy to
try to improve that cleanup code if people provide examples where it's
not complete.

I guess I'm left with three observations:

1. tidy solves this problem very nicely.

2. If DocBook is your source format, what is the motivation for XHTML
   strict? It's important for your HTML to be consistent, of course,
   if you're using CSS, but the markup you get from DocBook should be
   consistent even if it isn't strict.

3. The prohibition against block elements inside paragraphs in HTML is
   a real pain in the *ss. I also think it prevents authors from
   writing what they really meant (in the example above, that the
   table is part of the thought expressed in the paragraph).

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | DNA neither cares nor knows. DNA
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | just is. And we dance to its
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | music.--Richard Dawkins

hello,

the ant style/xslt task did not work out for me too, because the task
did not used the explicitely specified classpath - or at least i
had the feeling that the classpath wont be used.

as a result a couldn't use the saxon/xalan XSLT extensions because
the are located in some jars.

maybe you know a solution to this ...

regards

daniel s. haischt
--

/ Bob Stayton <bobs@sco.com> was heard to say:
| On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 03:01:32PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
|>
|> "XSLT", Doug Tidwell, p. 51
|>
|>   "* The node() node test, which selects all nodes in the current
|>   context, regardless of type.  This includes elements, text, comments
|>   processing instuctions, attributes, and namespace nodes."
|>
|> "XSLT Programmer's Reference", 2nd ed., Michael Kay, p. 432
|>
|>   "Since root nodes, attribute nodes and namespace nodes are never
|>   children of another node ... they will never be matched by the
|>   pattern node()."
|>
|> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt"
|>
|>   "* node() matches any node other than an attribute node and
|>   the root node"
|>

|> at this point, i'm scared to read anything else for the fear
|> of getting a *fourth* opinion.
|
| Ask Norm.  He helped write the XSLT Recommendation.[1]

Heh. Thanks, Bob :-)

With respect to the opinions above, I believe Tidwell is mistaken, Kay
is correct, and the quoted part of the XSLT Rec is needs an erratum to
add "namespace node" to that description of node(). On the other hand,
that quote comes under the heading "here are some examples of
patterns" so maybe it's not normative.

The place to look for information about node() is the XPath Rec which
says "a node test node() is true for any node of any type whatsoever."

But I think part of the confusion in this thread is that there are two
things to consider: the test and the axis in which the test is
performed.

In particular, there's no test that you can write

  <xsl:template match="node()">
                       ^^^^^^
                       here

to match an attribute or namespace node. That's just not the way that
template rules are matched.

Now, if you use node() with other axes, then it matches every kind of
node (though note that most axes don't match namespace or attribute
nodes, so it isn't the case that you get them with node()).

Going all the way back to the original question, should this template

  <xsl:template match="node()">

match comments and processing-instructions?

I can't find any reading of the XSLT Rec that would support the answer no.
In particular, consider:

  "The built-in template rules are treated as if they were imported
  implicitly before the stylesheet and so have lower import precedence
  than all other template rules. Thus, the author can override a
  built-in template rule by including an explicit template rule."

Since import precedence is the primary discriminator for template
matching, I think the test above should match comment and processing
instruction nodes.

So I think it's an xsltproc bug that they don't.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Unprovided with original learning,
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | unformed in the habits of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | thinking, unskilled in the arts of

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Norman Walsh wrote:

> So I think it's an xsltproc bug that they don't.

yup, i submitted a bugzilla for xsltproc about that already.
my final understanding is that "node()", being short for
"child::node()", should match all of (and only)

1) elements
2) text nodes
3) comments
4) PIs

and that's all.  thus, tidwell is incorrect in his book, and
www.w3.org/TR/xslt should be clarified/corrected as well.

on to fighting with FOP now.

rday

the xslt task got a classpath/classpathref attribute which i used.
i can try it again but i had the feeling it wasn't my fault, tho.

maybe someone other has any ideas about this issue ...

regards

daniel s. haischt
--

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 03:57:28PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Since import precedence is the primary discriminator for template
> matching, I think the test above should match comment and processing
> instruction nodes.
>
> So I think it's an xsltproc bug that they don't.

Which has been fixed in CVS the next day it got reported on GNOME bugzilla...

Daniel

Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
> the xslt task got a classpath/classpathref attribute which i used.
> i can try it again but i had the feeling it wasn't my fault, tho.
>
> maybe someone other has any ideas about this issue ...

many XML related problems seem to disappear when switching back to java 1.3.

styling multiple docbook-docs using the ant style task works fine for me using
1.3 but i also encounter this sudden death in common/l10n.xsl when using 1.4;

markus

hummm ok that (jdk 1.3) could be a solution. i was using jdk 1.4.1 :(

At 23:19 15/03/2003 +0100, Markus Spath wrote:
>Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
>>the xslt task got a classpath/classpathref attribute which i used.
>>i can try it again but i had the feeling it wasn't my fault, tho.
>>maybe someone other has any ideas about this issue ...
>
>many XML related problems seem to disappear when switching back to java 1.3.

I honestly don't know if I wrote
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/ant.html when I was using 1.3 or 1.4.

The classpath issue is resolved when calling up ant.
Include the catalog manager classes / jar file in the call classpath.

I'll see if I can dig out my test harnesses, but I don't recall transforming
more than one file at a time.
   Sorry I can't be more help at this time.

regards DaveP

  a couple of quick questions regarding docbook -> FO and beyond.
first, i'm experimenting with FOP for the eventual FO -> PDF
conversion, so i'm using xsltproc to generate the intermediate
FO for the time being.  is there an option with "xsltproc" to
generate "tidy" FO?  or some kind of tidy utility so i can
inspect the generated FO?  currently, AFAICT, the generated
FO consists of perfectly legal but horrendously long text
lines and i see no way to adjust that.  (is there such a
thing as a FOP "viewer"?)

  and, second, is there anything specific i should add/adjust
in a stylesheet for processing docbook, knowing that i want to
generate FO that i will eventually pass to FOP?  from
docbook.sourceforge.net, i see a single "fop.extensions"
parameter, but those extensions apparently consist totally
of PDF bookmarks, so it's not like that represents a major
overhaul of the output.  is there anything else FOP-specific
i should be taking into account regarding stylesheets?

  thanks.

rday

p.s.  it's *way* too nice to be sitting inside on a day like
this.  dang.