Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: screenshots in PDF output

Nik Clayton wrote:
[ This should probably be on docbook-apps.  I've set followups ]

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 09:24:53AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> > > Anyone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > Did you ever solve this?  I've got the same problem.
>
> pdfjadetex can't handle images in EPS or GIF format.  It will accept images
> in PNG, JPG, MPS, and (of course) PDF.  (See
> .../texmf/tex/latex/graphics/pdftex.def line 95 or so.)

OK.  That being the case, why doesn't this work?

The modular print stylesheets don't list png as a graphics extension by default. In 1.52, these are listed in dbparam.dsl and
db31.dsl. The best option is to build a custom stylesheet (model after cygnus-both.dsl in 1.52) with the following addition:
(define %graphic-extensions%
  ;; REFENTRY graphic-extensions
  ;; PURP List of graphic filename extensions
  ;; DESC
  ;; The list of extensions which may appear on a 'fileref'
  ;; on a 'Graphic' which are indicative of graphic formats.
  ;;
  ;; Filenames that end in one of these extensions will not have
  ;; the '%graphic-default-extension%' added to them.
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  '("jpg" "png" "tex" "gif"))
(define %graphic-default-extension%
  "png")

(define preferred-mediaobject-notations
  (list "TEX" "JPG" "JPEG" "PNG" "linespecific"))

(define preferred-mediaobject-extensions
  (list "tex" "jpg" "jpeg" "png"))

(define acceptable-mediaobject-extensions
  (list "gif" "bmp"))

(define acceptable-mediaobject-notations
  (list "GIF" "GIF87a" "GIF89a" "BMP"))

If you add the "tex" extensions in addition to "png" as above, the tex
backend will also format tex equations saved in files like "something.tex"
The easiest way to make these changes is to make a copy of "cygnus-both.dsl",
add the above statements to the print section, and use this new stylesheet
("mystyle-both.dsl") as your stylesheet.

Hey Norm, howabout adding "png" (and "tex" ?) to the next stylesheet?

--
Kevin M. Dunn
kevinmd@hsc.edu