Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Images & PDF output

Nik Clayton writes:
 > > PDF is a good format. I know Adobe own it, but the format is
 > > published, and there are several free renderers. do you rule that out?
 >
 > PDF as a vector format or as a bitmap format?
as vector

 > And could Adobe ever pull a Unisys and try and extract license fees for
 > it?

I do not believe so, at this stage. But I am no lawyer.

 > Personally, I'm more comfortable using something like PNG as the master
 > (bitmap) format, and then converting to other formats as necessary.

for bitmaps, agreed

 > The other choice in the running for vector graphics was EPS.  But I don't
 > know of any free packages that can use EPS as a native format, and retain
 > additional information about the diagram (like grouping of different
 > elements).
Mayura Draw? or is that not free?

 > Sketch (http://sketch.sourceforge.net/) is a CorelDraw-a-like, written
 > in Python/Tk.  It's native format is not SVG, but it can read and write
 > SVG files.  It also comes with a commandline converter that will do the
 > SVG to EPS conversion.

It looks mildly cute. But I think it makes my point. an unstable 0.6
version package which doesn't claim to support all of SVG? Limited to
Latin1 encoding? thats what I call bleeding edge.

Sebastian