Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: —

I don't understand what happens to character entities.  I have a document
with é and —.  When I convert it to HTML with the XSL DocBook
stylsheets, they pass through unchanged.  When I view the XML with Netscape
6PR1, nothing is displayed (although View Source shows é and —).

I changed an é to é.  When I convert it to HTML, it shows up
as é.  When I view it with NS6, it shows up as é.  Likewise
for — and —.

What's doing the conversion: xt, the XSL stylesheets, the DTD, or the browser?

My ulterior motive is to the opposite of John's.  I want "--" in HTML,
because Netscape 4.x doesn't recognize &mdash;.  In short, <aol>Me,
too!</aol>.

At 02:35 PM 6/29/00 -0400, John.Prabhu@macmillanUSA.com wrote:
>Thanks for the answer. But, I actually want my XML data to still have
&mdash; and when I convert it using XSL, I'd prefer to have the &mdash;
replaced as &#x8212; instead of --

--
Jon Willeke, Quality Engineer
InterSystems Corp.