Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Creating Different Output Formats Using DocBook V4.1 XML

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

    Sebastian> Holger Rauch writes:
    >> I'm looking for the following formats:
    >>
    >> - DVI
    Sebastian> why?

It's easy to manipulate and add things such as a "PRELIMINAR"
background text in gray 50%, to make people who print the PS/PDF know
that this is not an official recommendation. This is one thing. Other
things might be adding cropmarks to this DVI.

Both things are doable in SGML by using Jadetex.

    >> - PS - PDF - PCL
    Sebastian> these are surely manageable from just one, ie PDF?

PCL is better for printing. It makes the printer less stressed on
image rendering.

    >> - troff (unix man pages)
    Sebastian> easy enough.

So, how to do it with DocBook XML? I've taken a long time to find the
correct macros for use with DocBook SGML...

    >> - texinfo
    Sebastian> why?

It's output is good! Why creating TeX-like is the same question...

    >> - ascii (also taking into account page breaks and tables)
    Sebastian> get it from one of the others

It would be interesting to have it generated directly from the
source. Getting it from others requires aditional tools and these
aren't always easy to get for every platform that you need.

    Sebastian> an XSLT processor can, if it is conformant, produce at
    Sebastian> least HTML, XML and TEXT outputs. troff, texinfo, ascii
    Sebastian> etc you can do with text output. HTML is obvious. PS,
    Sebastian> PDF, PCL all need a formatting engine in the processing
    Sebastian> chain - you have to find one.....

This is the bad thing that happen to us: you need to find one. There
should be more things on the formatting/converting tools to prevent
you from having to look after one tool to get a basic format... :-\

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.