Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Creating Different Output Formats Using DocBook V4.1 XML

> you can do that in the PS or PDF. or indeed in the stylesheet
>
> so convert the PS to PCL....  easy enough with Ghostscript. why
> reinvent the wheel?
>
> no idea, but its just a transformation to text, so no new technology
> is needed, just some XSL programming
>
> yes, just another transform then
>
> With respect, there "There should be" statement is a bit
> disingenuous. The tools will be there if someone writes them! You
> cannot magic them out of thin air. We all chose to go down this route
> of *ML markup, of our own volition; no-one told is it would be a
> simple path.
>
> as have said a million times, transform to TeX if you want quick and
> easy high quality printed pages...

I'm sitting here smilling because I know how hard it is to get something
working without any external support. Every little glitch sets you back a
week or at least a day or two. I also know what it's like to reinvent the
wheel and design systems that other people think are complex. I tend to go
purple when someone asks me why such and such isn't possible by such and
such a route, or why the whole damn thing has to be so complex. It's great
fun watching it happen to others. I must admit that I wish there was a
command like NIKE (just do it) for all documents. I also realize that by
the time that command exists there won't be a mailing list to send gripes
to :-).

Whatever anyone says I think that it's great to be able to get some
great support from this group.

I'm trying to get my needs serviced and SGML/XML is far from perfect as I
don't know how to use them properly and yet I prefer not thinking about
what MS products would do to my hardware needs before doing nasty things
to my documents :-).

I do wish that I could cut out some of the intermediate steps on the route
to PS or PDF but I can live with what's there as long as it does what I
want it to.

Just wanted to say thanks for DocBook and *ML!

	Sean

P.s. does anyone have a small example of a table of dates/events that
looks good on TeX, through SGML db4.1 and DSSSL Style Sheets 1.54 (using
(open)jade/ jadetex/ dvips)???? :-)