Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Getting Rid of Character Entities in DocBook XML Docs

/ Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> was heard to say:
| character entities in an appropriate way. Unfortunately, I can't leave
| "&nbsp" as it is, since when I'm "fop" (an XSL fo processor written in
| Java) in conjunction with "xalan" (an XSLT processor that produces fo
| output, written in Java as well) in order to produce a PDF version of my
| document, I get a fatal error of the form
|
| FATAL ERROR: The entity "nbsp" was referenced, but not declared.

That's just wrong, if you're using DocBook XML 4.*; nbsp is declared
in iso-num.ent. You do have to do a validating parse of the input
document, though. Or, at least, the parser has to read the external
subset.  Could that be the problem?

Come to think of it, fop only sees the FO tree, which shouldn't have
any nbsp's in it. So now I'm confused again. Where does the process
fail?

  source -> FO with xalan

or

  FO -> pdf with fop?

| Though I got to say I get a PDF file. When I try to preview it with
| "xpdf", however, I get these messages:
|
| Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
| Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
| Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
| Error: Couldn't read xref table
|
| I guess that's due to the problem concerning the character entities.

Beats me if that's what the problem is...

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | We ought not to heap reproaches on old