Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: which DocBook in DOCTYPE?

Bob Stayton <bobs@sco.COM> writes:

> I've chosen #4 and use a simple DOCTYPE in my files:
>
> <!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "docbook.dtd">

This is a work around not a solution.  It's hardly possible to exchange
those documents; partners have to guess what DTD to use, etc.

> Docbook is stable enough now that this is generally not a significant
> burden.

All DocBook DTDs were stable; every DTD is stable by definition!
DocBook 5.x will expose your system setup is broken.

> I'm curious as to how other people handle this problem.

There's no problem to solve -- just stick with released standards
(SGML/XML, DSSSL) and fix software bugs.  Systems depending on "drafts"
are broken from the very beginning.

Architectural Forms Processing is a genuine way to "map" a document
instance from one DTD to another.  Once again I like to recommend David
Megginson's book ("Structuring XML Documents", 1998).

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,