Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=51918].

Folks,

The old "TeX capacity exceeded" error has come up again, and I'm damned
if I can fix it.

This particular error message is

    TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=51918].

while processing a large .tex file with pdftex.  The command line is

    pdftex "&pdfjadetex" book.tex-pdf

I've tweaked values in texmf.cnf till I'm blue in the face.  I know that
the tweaks are having an effect, because if I adjust values *down* then
the error message occurs earlier.  But no matter how high I adjust the
values it always bombs out at 51918 strings.

The file in question can be grabbed from

    http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/book.tex-pdf.gz

(850K or so) should any of you wish to experiment.