Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Inserting eps or pdf documents into a DocBookdocument

At 06:41 AM 4/11/01 +0900, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>At 05:33 PM 4/10/01 -0400, Dan York wrote:
>>Richard,
>>
>>> What is the secret to SGML2X? How can it handle an epsf file when
>>> pdfjadetex can't?
>>
>>I don't know... sgml2x *calls* pdfjadetex!  And it works fine with
>>EPS files... in fact, I've always thought pdfjadetex worked fine with
>>EPS so I have been extremely surprised to see the recent suggestions
>>to NOT use EPS files.  Have you tried it and had it fail?
>
>Oh yes, it fails with a message about LaTeX not understanding eps ...
>
>I wish I could get SGML2X so I could see what it does!

OK, I got sgml2x, and I can now see what it does.

Firstly, Dan, did you have to do anything special to make it work? The
setup instructions are Abys Mal and it gives wierd errors when I set the
SGML_CATALOG_FILES to what I think they should be.

How some ever, what it does is:

   jade -> TEX
   jadetex -> dvi
   dvips -> ps
   ps2pdf -> pdf

The dvips step seems to require that all graphics be in eps or ps,
otherwise it inserts a raw jpg or whatever file. However, once you satisfy
that requirement, the EPS files are indeed inserted in the document, but
they loose any scaling you requested of DocBook.

Dan, do you draw your diagrams to the exact scale you need in a document?

Now to figure out who to get this to work with db2pdf.