Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: SVG and DocBook XML to PDF

Hello all,

I've been trying to figure out how to munge SVG images into a DocBook
XML document for transformation into PDF using FOP.

I've stumbled on Norm's dbsvg dtd and one brief exchange on this list
between Norm and Bill Lawrence back in April, but the discussion was too
brief to be very comprehensible to me (I'm new to the XML stylesheets
and XML in general).  I'm not even sure I understand what the dtd does,
or how to use it (or more importantly, whether it is even related to my
problem).

In my current situation, I don't necessarily need a general approach
(though that wouldn't be a negative thing).  If necessary, I can plug
the SVG image definition directly into the header template for the
stylesheet, for example...so I don't need to call the SVG from the XML
file itself--it can be hardcoded into the XSL files

But I'm not real sure how where to start...am I anywhere near the right
track, or is there some other vector graphic format I should be trying
to use for my PDF output?

Can I just stick an <fo:instream-foreign-object><svg:> sequence in the
docbook xsl header or footer or margin template somewhere and have it
work in a reasonable fashion?  Is there a better, and more general
purpose, way to do this?

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can provide.
                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances