Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: <caution> and <sect2> problem

Joel Boonstra wrote:

> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN"[]>
> <book id="bookname">
> <chapter id="chap1">
>   <title>Chapter Title</title>
>
>   <sect1 id="sect1">
>     <title>Sect1 title</title>
>
>     <sect2 id="sect2">
>       <title>Sect2 title</title>
>       <para>
>       Sect2 text
>       </para>
>     </sect2>
>
>     <note id="sect1note">
>       <title>Note title</title>
>       <para>
>       Note text
>       </para>
>     </note>
>
>   </sect1>
> </chapter>
>
> </book>

> Working on: /home/joel/sgml/test.sgml
> jade:/home/joel/sgml/test.sgml:16:24:E: document type does not allow
> element "NOTE" here; missing one of "GLOSSARY", "BIBLIOGRAPHY", "INDEX"
> start-tag
>
> I've pored over the book on docbook.org, and haven't found why a <note>
> isn't allowed within a <sect1>.  It's listed as having <sect1> as one of
> its parents, and vice-versa.  Furthermore, if I reorder my SGML slightly:

Generaly, the structure for most division elements (like chapters,
sections and so on) in DocBook is to have some text optionaly followed
by several subsections. After you start some subsections, you must use
them to the end of division. To solve your problem, you can place note
at the end of last sect2:

 <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN"[]>
 <book id="bookname">
 <chapter id="chap1">
   <title>Chapter Title</title>

   <sect1 id="sect1">
     <title>Sect1 title</title>

     <sect2 id="sect2">
       <title>Sect2 title</title>
       <para>
       Sect2 text
       </para>
       <note id="sect1note">
        <title>Note title</title>
        <para>
        Note text
        </para>
      </note>
     </sect2>

   </sect1>
 </chapter>

 </book>

Reason for this, IMHO, is that you cann't make visual distinction
between these two markups. And the second one is much more natural - so
it is the only one supported.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz