Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Solution to funky TOCs in HTML Help...

/ "Bradford, Denis" <denisb@rational.com> was heard to say:
| >You should always have in mind that XML (and thus XML version of
| >DocBook) is much more sensitive to spaces and newlines than most typical
| >SGML appliacations. For example:
|
| According to my XSLT book, XSLT has lots of ways to control the generation
| of white-space nodes - elements like space, preserve-space, and strip-space
| elements - in contrast to HTML where the spec is not very precise, and so
| different browsers handle whitespace differently.

The DocBook stylesheets apply preserve-space and strip-space appropriately.
This is why whitespace between paragraphs is irrelevant. But whitespace
in an element that may contain mixed content can't be stripped...it might
be what the author intended! So

  <xsl:strip-space elements="title"/>

would be wrong.

                                        Be seeing you,