Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: best tool for docbook?

>> But they need at least approximation of visual appearance during editing. They aren't able edit text without some level of WYSIWYG.
I agree with the statement but not sentiment.

Don't the vast majority of users who author content want an easy life when it comes their editor? Why should they do battle with their editor (remembering Emacs keystrokes, Docbook syntax, symantics & structure, constantly customising stylesheets & upgrading their toolchains for example) when all they really want to concentrate on is the content of the document they're authoring?

I remember my growing pains when I first started using Docbook & XML. I constantly see clients in the field who would benefit from using Docbook but I don't recommend it to them because I know what a headache I'd get supporting them.

Don't get me wrong. The current open-source solutions are great. They do the job and there's an army of motivated users, experts & developers work on improvements all the time (how many commercial software vendors can say the same for their software?) but in my opinion there is a vast market out there for some sort of GUI tool to aid the content authors.

To me, that tool would be a mixture of a Plain Text Editor (Emacs, Notepad, whatever), the Delphi/Kylix Code Editor (colour coded tags, code-completion etc.) and XMetal (for their XML support and XML tag Context support). Features like drag & drop would help and also a dedicated Docbook parsing & compiling engine that works straight off the shelf and supporting all the usual formats - RTF/DOC, HTML (chunked & unchunked), PDF.

Mart

Martin Gautier
Technology Consultant
Myrnham Associates