Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DOCBOOK: Minutes: DocBookTechnicalCommitteeMeeting: 21 Aug 2001

> From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
>
> Norman Walsh wrote:
> >
> > / Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> was heard to say:
> > | But if we stay with DTDs how many variants we should produce?
> >
> > When the TC adopts a linking proposal, we will have DocBook+Linking.
> > Then MathML, SVG, etc. will just be bolt-on modules. It'll all work
> > more-or-less OK. (The caveat being mixed prefixes for the same namespace.)
>
> OK. Sounds reasonably. But if I would want use both MathML and SVG with
> DocBook, I will need to combine these two customizations manually and
> create new one. Right?

Perhaps this is getting too far ahead of the TC, but
could someone please address the document portability
issues for this idea of bolt-on components for the DTD?
The nice thing about a single DocBook DTD is that documents
are portable.  Are you suggesting that each document turn
on the extra DTD components it needs by setting an INCLUDE
parameter entity in its DOCTYPE declaration?  And will the
stylesheets support all of the components simulaneously, or
will parameters have to be passed at runtime to get the
appropriate templates?

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com