Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Producing Printable output from docbook... neverendingstory, this time: DSSSL

I dont know how frustrated others might be, but I am definitly. docbook
seems to be very promising, but makes so many problems in nearly each
detail.

I managed to produce html output, even with images, but try to make
printable (PDF) output.

(1) as I am used to xsl, I tried the way using the Walsh xsl
stylesheets, xslt, and fo.

this basically works with the very expensice xep, but not with apache
FOP (has too many bugs yet).

(2) o.k. now I thought I try the DSSSL stylesheets and Jade:

I installed jade, works with the jtest.sgm and produces correct jtest.rtf.

but when I try to test the Walsh DSSSL stylesheets with the test.sgm I
receive:

nsgmls:I: SP version "1.3.3"
nsgmls:test.sgm:1:61:W: cannot generate system identifier for public
text "-//Da
venport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"
nsgmls:test.sgm:1:61:E: reference to entity "CHAPTER" for which no
system identi
fier could be generated
nsgmls:test.sgm:1:0: entity was defined here
nsgmls:test.sgm:1:61:E: DTD did not contain element declaration for
document typ
e name
nsgmls:test.sgm:2:8:E: element "CHAPTER" undefined
nsgmls:test.sgm:2:15:E: element "TITLE" undefined
nsgmls:test.sgm:3:5:E: element "PARA" undefined

???

when I try Jade with DSSSL stylesheets on my docbook document I receive
tons of errors like:

jade:D:\Programme\JavaTools\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\cocoon\docbook\docbook_dtd\en
t/iso-lat2.ent:116:18:E: "X0175" is not a function name
jade:D:\Programme\JavaTools\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\cocoon\docbook\docbook_dtd\en
t/iso-lat2.ent:117:18:E: "X0174" is not a function name
jade:D:\Programme\JavaTools\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\cocoon\docbook\docbook_dtd\en
t/iso-lat2.ent:118:18:E: "X0177" is not a function name

o.k. I am really no DSSSL expert, not even a rookie, but what I do not
understand is, why it must be so difficult to install the DSSSL
stylesheets?? there are two remarks in the Walsh documentation that
could fit to the problems:

(1)"If the nsgmls command produces errors, review your catalog and
resolve the errors"

??? I have no idea about how to resolve the errors in the catalog file...

(2) "If you are missing some of the ISO entity sets, they are available
on the web at ... "

following the link I find a huge page with again tons of links and
detail information about SGML/XML entities, where I have no idea where
to start...

so finally my real question: Am *I* too stupid to install this stuff, or
is it really necessary to be an DSSSL expert to perform this task?

any ideas?

thank you

Alex