[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [Elist Home]
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Error: Output character not available
Jirka, Thanks for your help. Adding "htmlhelp.encoding=windows-1252" helped. But then I get the following error: ... Writing htmlhelp.hhp Error on line 117 of file:/C:/tools/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.45/html/chunker.xsl: Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 174) Transformation failed: run-time errors were reported Using the following command with all 3 parameters you suggested makes no difference: saxon M:\doc\doc\products\mainwin\techdoc\src\docset.xml m:\doc\doc\tools\xsl\hh.xsl "htmlhelp.encoding=windows-1252" "default.encoding=windows-1252" "saxon.character.representation=native" The truth is I don't need to encode my XML source in UTF-8. I use English language only, so I could use ISO-8859-1. I used UTF-8 because it's become the default in Epic and I figured this way I could write other languages in the future without needing any further changes. Perhaps I was wrong. Do you suggest I change my XML source to ISO-8859-1, or is there a better solution? By the way, I get the above errors while processing the XSL stylesheet, not when running hhc.exe. The error occurs while the htmlhelp.hhp file is being written. Thanks again, Gershon On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Jirka Kosek wrote: > Gershon L Joseph wrote: > > > > I've got Saxon 6.4.3 working with the XSL DocBook stylesheets, and on some > > XML source files produce nice HTML Help. However, on a large docset I > > get the following error: > > > > Error on line 117 of > > file:/C:/tools/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.45/html/chunker.xsl: > > Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 8217) > > Transformation failed: run-time errors were reported > > > > My XML files are encoded in UTF-8, so I don't understand what's going on > > here. Any ideas? > > Well, there is another prove of bad design of HTML Help Workshop. This > appliacation can't handle Unicode properly. You must use single-byte > encodings in configuration files. By default ISO-8859-1 encoding is used > and this encoding didn't contain Unicode character 8217 (right single > quotation mark). Only solution to get around this problem is using other > encoding which contains this character. It depends on language you are > using, but windows-1252 might be useful for you. You can change encoding > used for project file by parameter htmlhelp.encoding. You can set this > parameter in customization file or pass it on command line: > > saxon yourfile.xml /path/to/htmlhelp.xsl > "htmlhelp.encoding=windows-1252" > > This will solve error mentioned in your message. If you will get some > "funny" characters in ToC or index, you should use two additional > parameters to finaly solve lacks in HTML Help: > > saxon yourfile.xml /path/to/htmlhelp.xsl > "htmlhelp.encoding=windows-1252" "default.encoding=windows-1252" > "saxon.character.representation=native"
Powered by eList eXpress LLC