Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: 4xslt + docbook.xsl = "maximum recursion"

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this question. If not,
please let me know.

The trouble is, I'm too inexperienced to know if it's 4Suite, the
DocBook stylesheets or my own bumbling that's caused the problem (of
course, I suspect that last option :o)  I've converted our newsgroup's
FAQ to DocBook XML, to the point where it now validates happily and
seems to be well-formed. However, when I attempt to use XSLT to convert
to HTML, 4xslt works away for about half an hour, then dies with
"maximum recursion depth exceeded."  No output file is written:

::::::::::
[snip lots more in the same vein]
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/CallTemplateElement.py", line 67, in instantiate
    params = processor.callTemplate(self._name, context, params, 0)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/Processor.py",
line 364, in callTemplate
    new_level)[1]
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/TemplateElement.py", line 117, in instantiate
    context = child.instantiate(context, processor)[0]
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/CallTemplateElement.py", line 67, in instantiate
    params = processor.callTemplate(self._name, context, params, 0)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/Processor.py",
line 364, in callTemplate
    new_level)[1]
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/_xmlplus/xslt/TemplateElement.py", line 96, in instantiate
    context.setNamespaces(self._nss)
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded
::::::::::

Now, I tested 4xslt using the short demos provided with it and all
seemed to go swimmingly. However, whenever I attempt to use it with
docbook.xsl (in the html directory) the above failure occurs.

Am I using the wrong version of the stylesheets? I have
docbook-xsl-1.46-experimental installed. Python 2.1.1, 4Suite-0.11.1, RH
7.1. I'm just using 4xslt from the command line, although my next step
was to incorporate it into the backend code on the site that distributes
our FAQ. Need to get it working first though.

  $ 4xslt ~/path.to/faq.xml docbook.xsl ~/path.to/newfaq.html

Because the FAQ is such a long document, I pared it down to bare bones
to see if this would make any difference. It didn't. Here's the
document, in simplest form:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
"/home/rich/xml/dtd/docbook-xml/docbookx.dtd">

<article>

<articleinfo>
  <title>The alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ FAQ</title>
  <author>
    <firstname>foo</firstname>
    <surname>bar</surname>
  </author>
</articleinfo>

<qandaset>
<qandaentry>
  <question>
    <para>
      1.1 What is the purpose of this newsgroup?
    </para>
  </question>

  <answer>
  <para>
    Exactly what questions are considered to be about the standard
    C and C++ languages may be difficult for a newcomer to understand.
    We recommend you read the remainder of this FAQ, which should
    help you understand what we would consider "off-topic".
  </para>
  </answer>
  </qandaentry>
</qandaset>

</article>

Any advice, corrections, suggestions, or pointers to elsewhere would be
very much appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Rich.