Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook tables and FOP

On 15 Nov 2001, at 13:40, Petri Wessman wrote:

> It's probably related to the fact that FOP currently wants you to
> specify widths for tables, but I'm not sure. Anyone solved this? Or
> even hackup up some interim solution? :)

Yes. I asked the same question last week.

To "fix" the problem, add <colspec colwidth=""/> to your table for
each column.

While trying to solve this problem myself, I learned that FOP will
not handle proportional measures (1*) correctly. Norm's FOP style
sheets convert this information, but FOP does not yet support
proportional widths. (Norm's HTML style sheets, however, handle
proportional measures quite well).

My current solution is as follows:

	<title>Typographical Conventions</title>
	<tgroup cols="3" align="left">
	  <colspec colwidth="3cm"/>
	  <colspec colwidth="6cm"/>
	  <colspec colwidth="5cm"/>
	  <thead>
	    <row>
	      <entry>Convention</entry>
	      <entry>Meaning</entry>
	      <entry>Example</entry>
	    </row>
	  </thead>

With this markup, the tables display in HTML and FOP quite well.

I hope this helps.

jeff