Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook to man pages XSL

> From: "Bradford, Denis" <denisb@rational.com>
>
> We gave db2man a try. The biggest problem we found was that the nroff output
> does not appear to format tables - each cell is rendered on a separate line.
> If db2man is still under development, I wonder if formatted text would be a
> better output than nroff, which some flavors of UNIX no longer support.
>
> In fact, the whole experience makes me think that maybe a docbook -> text
> style sheet is the best general solution. For now, we've resorted to running
> our refentry documents through html.xsl, then hacking the html to formatted
> text. The last step turns out to be surprisingly difficult.

Are you using one of the text-based web browsers
to convert HTML to text?  I'm currently using
"links" (no, not lynx) from
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/
and it handles tables nicely.  It even does
frames!

And then there is the venerable lynx which I think
handles tables now, and another
called w3m from Japan
http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/

All of these have a "dump" option to let you save
the generated text into a file.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com