Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: libxslt/xsltproc and XML catalogs (was Re: websitedtd newbie)

/ Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
| <!-- Disgression on XML Catalog
| I disagree on the split between the System/Uri handling in the XML Catalog
| spec and in this case this is typically an URI-Reference and not an
| entity lookup and what would be needed per the spec is actually a rewriteUri
| instruction and not a rewriteSystem, unfortunately so far the XML Catalog

There is a rewriteURI instruction.

| comitee refuses to admit that an URI reference is an URI reference
| and that the resolution mechanism should be unified.

External identifiers are different from other URIs. Eventually, the
world will move to XInclude and Schema languages other than DTDs and
the whole notion of external identifiers will fade away, I suppose,
but until then, an external identifier is different from other URIs.

| As a result I suggested the Tim Waugh (Red Hat DocBook packager) and
| I'm afraid it will have to become a rule that all rewriteSystem should
| be duplicated as rewriteUri to avoid troubles by pedantic XML Catalog
| implementations (and similar for others System related instructions).
|      End of the disgression -->

I'd rather you suggested that rewritesystem not be used for URIs that
aren't system identifiers!

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--