Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Avoiding extra linebreaks in <li> items in Oper a

Bradford, Denis [mailto:denisb@rational.com] writes:

[snip!]
> See the "DOCBOOK-APPS: first text in HTML list item should
> not be a para?" thread, which was just discussed:
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200112/msg00111.html

Thanx for the link!

> Consensus seems to be that the para template in block.xsl
> does the right thing - the browser is at fault -

Based on my own interpretation of the HTML standard, and
observation of browser behaviour, I must respectfully disagree
with the consensus...:-)

IMO one should always restrict generated HTML to the subset of the
standard, that works correctly on the greatest number of browsers.

I haven't looked into what the example does yet, but if what it does
in a <listitem>, I don't see anywhere a browser would break, and
it would fix two cases (Opera, and the HTML to text converters
the first person in the thread was talking about).

That said: regarding Opera we're probably looking at a bug (as in
"unintended behaviour"), since Opera does the expected thing when
the <p> is the first thing in the <li>.  So I will report it as
a bug in Opera.

> but if you want to <p> tags in listitems, the message includes a
> sample customization too.

I assume you mean "want to avoid <p> tags"?  I'll look at it.
Thanx for the pointer to the example.

- Steinar

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.