Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: XSL: Docbook to foreign DTD

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:03:11AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Note, however, that the XSLT Rec requires only that processors output
> sufficient namespace declarations to form a legal XML+Namespaces
> document.

<pedantic>
  Actually, it's far more stronger than that ! The rules about outputting
namespaces declaration requires to always output a namespace when a node
which had that declaration in scope is generated. I struggled with this
until I understood that XML+Namespaces "correctness" is not sufficient
to garantee that attributes containing CNames are gonna be preserved.

  Example: there is no way to know whether "ns:val" in the following
    <foo xmlns:ns="http://example.org/bar" bar="ns:val"/>
is actually to be consumed as a simple string, or as a CName value anchored
in the http://example.org/bar namespace, assuming foo is to be copied as
part of the output of an XSLT transformation, the rule is to actually serialize
xmlns:ns="http://example.org/bar" to be sure that applications using
the namespace in attribute (or text) content do not break.

  Now I know why people were complaining loudly against early XLink syntax
using CName in attributes ! The dependancy of the node toward the namespace
is not expressed in any model (DOM, Infoset ...).
</pedantic>

Daniel