Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Again: Apache FOP,Docbook: Features / Versions,"complete" Docbook distribution

At 23:26 14/01/2002 -0800, Carlos Araya wrote:
>Do you think it's possible for us to agree on using a certain set of tools
>then? Is there such a one-step-wonder solution for creating documents with
>Docbook? Is there a tool that converts docbook to other formats without
>using xsl or dsssl?

yes (for this market)
yes (for the newbie market), but not a one step wonder
no.

> >> sorry, but the main point you start searching is http://www.docbook.org
> >> the FAQ there is pretty short, and gives no information about xsl or fo
> >> stuff I would need.
> >
> > Fair comment. It is new.

And I've been corrected already.
Try the faq at www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook
Perhaps Norm could point to it from docbook.org?

>I would at least give it a shot, if we can recommend one toolchain to
>newbies so that Docbook is not as intimidating to them as it was to me when
>I started, I would love to write it and help people out that way

Have you read Markus H's stuff. Its always worked for me?

>I would pick HTML for web delivery and PDF for print. We can generate a lot
>of the other formats starting from there.

With fop? Or Passivetex?

>  I also believe that the startup is
>90% of the work... Picking up the correct version of every single thing
>(docbook, stylesheets and toolchain processing tools) is where we loose a
>lot of people

That's why I liked the idea of 'skipping' a few versions. Say one update
per year,
at Norm's choosing?

Regards DaveP