Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Abiword to docbook

If somebody has to convert Word files to sgml/xml I would recommend
logictrans
rtftosgml converter. I tried it some months ago, so I don't know it it
works better
now. But you can do some customizations to the converter, getting what
Dave
says with lees effort. Well, I must said that customizations is (was?)
poor documented
and I spent some days making it doing what I wanted. For example, I was
able to
solve the titles problem Dave reports.
Other advantage is that logictrans converter make a jpg file for each
graphic it
encounters in the Word file, and insert a link to it.
All in all, I found it quite useful if you need to manage Word (or rtf)
files, which
is not my case (BTW).
I don't know if at this time the documentation has been improved. I
think this is
an important issue to make the program useful for each one needs.
I don't remember the price of this software (I think it was not very
expensive), but
the evaluation version have all you need to find out if it fits your
needs.

Hope this help. Regards,

Juan R. Migoya
SPAIN

Dave Pawson wrote:

> After half an hours playing its a fair, quick and dirty
> method of getting word into docbook.

[snip]