Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: same text in different areas

If you use entities, you have to declare them in the DTD/internal
subset. Another strategy is to have a preprocessing xsl step that
replaces a marker of some sort with another piece of the document. This
requires customization of the DTD and writing an xsl:

<para id="foo" is_shared="yes">My example text.</para>
<share_para sharer_id="foo"/>

Where <share_para> is replaced with <para id="foo"> (and the id is
omitted in the copy). Note that if the para being shared contains
elements that have ids, you'd need to strip or munge them and you need
to watch for recursion. We've got a system like this set up by which we
share content within and between documents. We call it 'holmanization'
because the inspiration for it came from a conversation with Ken Holman
<http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/>. The 'is_shared' attribute on the
sharing para is just a little flag to remind you that changing this text
affects other parts of the doc.

David