Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: MSXML support in DocBook stylesheets

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 03:06:05PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> > > MSXML is probably fastest XSLT implementation around (not completely
> > > true System.Xml.Transform in .Net is even faster) and I would like to
> >
> >   Can I challenge this claim ? I'm in a mood for a fight.
>
> Of course you can, but for safety and to prevent flame-wars I used word
> "probably". ;-)

  Yup, seen it :-)

> I personally appreciate your xsltproc, but on my DocBook documents it is
> ~ 50% slower than MSXML4. I'm not using latest version of xsltproc with
> new XPath optimizations, my current version is
>
> Using libxml 20413, libxslt 10010 and libexslt 10010
[...]
> If new version of xsltproc beats MSXML, then there are my
> congratulations.

   Well, I can't tell, I don't have a version of Windows, and don't intend
to buy one. It also seems Igor haven't updated the binaries to the latest
version, but I would expect them soon apparently he's working on it:
   http://www.fh-frankfurt.de/~igor/projects/libxml/

> OTOH to be honest, I'm mostly using Saxon because I need DocBook XSL
> specific extensions.

  Damn, maybe I should give them a higher priority.

> Having them for xsltproc will be big benefit for me
> and others because we can switch to xsltproc and also use its other
> interesting features -- e.g. XInclude support.

  Amen !

Daniel