Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Manage project documents with docbook

Hi,

I can think of a number of information types (e.g. 'effort' defined in
hours/days/weeks to do a task) that would be needed in a project mgmt or
requirements mgmt DTD, which would be out of place in the kind of technical
document that DocBook was designed for.  I can also think of lots of
elements they would have in common, and lots of DocBook that (IMHO) would
be completely irrelevant to project management

The first step would be to analyze the subject area and come up with the
information types you'd need.  If your goal is easy tranferral of data
between the project management space and the technical document space, you
need to know what you need for each, and then see where the overlaps and
uniqueness lie.  The analysis for 'what you need' has already been done in
the tech doc space, and the result is DocBook.  It sounds from your
question  that the analysis hasn't been done in the project mgmt space, but
since I've heard from various sources the idea that project mgmt data needs
to be stored in XML, it presumably needs to be done. Only once it's been
done can you start looking at where information can be reused across spaces.

A thought, are any of the OASIS TCs working on this area? [There are so
many of them that anything seems possible...]

Nancy

Nancy (Paisner) Harrison
Rational Software
Lexington  MA