Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Using make with jade

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Baurjan Ismagulov <ibr@gantek.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 01:10:39PM +0000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
> > I need to be certain that this jade-mandated # isn't going to be eaten by
> > make but will be passed intact to the shell.
>
> I use a recent GNU make under Linux, and this character is not
> interpreted as comment in the command line. Just try that; if it works,
> it should be enough for you provided you are going to setup your working
> environment once and use it for rendering.

Whilst I'm an empiracist at theart I was hoping that there would be some
documented/supported way of doing this.

> On the other hand, if you need your document to work properly with many
> various implementations of make, you'll have to find a portable way to
> do that.

Now that's a challenge I was trying to avoid. But yes the goal is
ultimately to provide a portable Makefile. The recenlty announced GPLed
re-implemention of ML/I has portable Makefile s in its kit. But with a
goal like empiricism can be trusted.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!