Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: scaling images in PDF but not in HTML?

Platform: Intel PIII, debian testing, Blackdown Java SDK 1.3.1,
	  Saxon 6.4.4, DocBook XML 4.1.2, DocBook-XSL 1.48,
	  Fop-0.20.3rc

Is it possible to scale images in PDF, but not in HTML?

I'm writing a step by step howto with PNG screen shots as a DocBook
XML <article>.  I'm using a <section> for each screen shot, with a the
text accompanying the screen shot in a <para> following the screen
shot.

The idea was that if the HTML is formatted into one HTML page per
section (I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but I have seen it
done), each HTML page will consist of a the <section> <title>, the
screen shot, and the text, as well as navigation links (next, prev,
up).

The problem is in that the PDF variant of the the same document I get
page breaks immediately after the section header, with the screen shot
and the text on the next page.

Ie. I get pages consisting of:
 - a screen shot
 - the text of the screen shot
 - the section title for the next screen shot
and that's not a very efficient use of the paper.

I could put in <beginpage/> element before each section, and then at
least the title header would appear on the same page as the screen
shot and the text.

But that would still give me just a single screen shot per page, when
the page can easily take two, or three, and have them remain readable.

I could scale the images in the DocBook XML source, but that would
cause the images to scale in HTML as well as in PDF, and I would like
the images to remain unscaled in HTML.

So we're back to the question at the start: is there a way to make the
images scale in PDF, but not in HTML?

Thanx!

- Steinar