Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: How to avoid pagebreak between <section> titleand body?

I'm having the same problem, and I'm working in DocBook XML 4.2 with the
1.50.0 XSL on Red Hat 7.2, processing with xsltproc and PassiveTeX. I asked
this same question on Friday.

If the keep-with-next.within-column in the component.title.properties
attribute-set is set to "always", why are my section titles and bodies
splitting at page breaks? Is this broken, or are we missing something?

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
dgrace@us.ibm.com

What is this some kind of demonstrative pronoun?

|         |           Steinar Bang     |
|         |           <sb@dod.no>      |
|         |           04/22/02 08:46 AM|
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: How to avoid pagebreak between <section> title and body?                   |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |                                                                                                              |

>>> As an experiment, i put the attribute
>>>          break-before="page"
>>> in the <fo:block> holding the title text for a section, and that
>>> pushed the title over on the next page.

[snip!]

> I tried that now, by putting the following into my local XSL style
> sheet:
>   <xsl:template name="section.heading">
[snip!]
>     <fo:block font-size="{$fsize}pt"
>               break-before="page"
[snip!]
>       <xsl:copy-of select="$title"/>
>     </fo:block>
>   </xsl:template>

I think "keep-with-next" is closer to what I want.  I replaced
             break-before="page"
with
             keep-with-next="always"
but that formatted the same as with the vanilla DocBook XSL template.

And when I looked at the produced FO, I saw that the <fo:block>
surrounding the <fo:block> containing the title text, it already had a
keep-with-next.within-column attribute:

  <fo:block id="d0e152">
    <fo:block>
      <fo:block keep-together="always" margin-left="-4pc"
      font-family="Helvetica">
        <fo:block keep-with-next.within-column="always">
          <fo:block font-size="14pt" keep-with-next="always"
          font-weight="bold" font-family="Helvetica"
          space-before.minimum="1em" space-before.optimum="1.5em"
          space-before.maximum="2em">Configure mouse</fo:block>
        </fo:block>
      </fo:block>
    </fo:block>
  </fo:block>

So why does the title separate from the body of the section?  Because
of confusion about what's the "next" to stay with?