Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: DOCBOOK: mathml and docbook

[followed-up up to docbook-apps]

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Lorenzo Delana wrote:
> I am able to use dbmathml.dtd, that imports docbookx.dtd, and then correctly
> parsing all mml: elements, but I am unable to make the same works as before,
> produce html and pdf;

<snip/>

> 1)  xml -> html
>
> alpha ~/mathml $ saxon book.xml book-html.xsl
> No template matches mml:math.
> No template matches mml:infinity.
> No template matches mml:pi.

Please see the following mails explaining how to make a stylesheet
customization for (x)html output that handles MathML:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2002-q2/msg00086.html

...and about backends of the XSL-chain supporting MathML:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook/2002-02/msg00139.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook/2002-02/msg00143.html

> 2) and xml -> fo-> pdf

<snip/>

> alpha ~/mathml $ fop.sh book.fo book.pdf
> [INFO]: FOP 0.20.3
> [INFO]: building formatting object tree
> [ERROR]: Unknown formatting object http://www.tug.org/fotex^bookmark
> org.w3c.dom.DOMException: DOM003 Namespace error
>         at org.apache.xerces.dom.AttrNSImpl.<init>(AttrNSImpl.java:126)
<snip/>
>         at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:19)
<snip/>
> [ERROR]: Unknown formatting object http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML^infinity
> [ERROR]: Unknown formatting object http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML^pi
> [INFO]: [1]
> [ERROR]: no handler defined for http://www.tug.org/fotex:bookmark foreign xml
> [ERROR]: no handler defined for http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML:math

I guess Fop doesn't support MathML.

> In either case what system does you use ?

For the time being I only experimented with MathML and XHTML output
rendering in Mozilla.

Bye,
Steffen.

--