Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: perl/docbook2-converter

>From: Thomas Porschberg <thomas.porschberg@osp-dd.de>
>To: docbook-apps-digest@lists.oasis-open.org
>Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: perl/docbook2-converter
>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:24:11 +0200
>
>At the moment I convert my docbook-apps with
>jade or xsltproc. Is there a way with perl too?

You might consider that there are good reasons why DSSSL and XSL were
created for the task of transforming and formatting SGML and XML documents.
That said, I'm not aware of a full implementation of DSSSL (i.e. one that
includes the transformations portion), since XSLT basically supercedes it.
XSLT packs a surprising amount of text processing power, given the small
number of constructs it provides, but that's really not what it was designed
for.  So, there might be some good reasons to preprocess or query XML
DocBook documents with other tools or languages, such as Perl, but you
consider whether it's really the best tool for the job.

Matt