Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Experiment for Notes on Graphics in HTML

You may remember there was an exchange between Paul Grosso and I late last
week on Norm's Notes on Graphics in HTML.

To try to increase my own understanding of what I was trying to say, I've
put together a very quick and dirty and, perhaps, superficial page with
some illustrations of cascading styles and image handling. You can find it
here: http://www.lynnparkplace.org/DBDiscuss/HTMLAndImages.html Perhaps it
will be useful for others, as well. Note that this is not sourced in
XML/DocBook and converted via XSL or DSSSL; I simply banged out some XHTML
in Homesite by way of use cases to illustrate some options and
opportunities. Any DB modifications or customizations would have to target
these or similar features.

I find I've gotten a bit polemical in the text; for that I apologize. It's
not very long. The main purpose of the experiment is to assess the extent
to which it's possible to leave the manipulation of image dimensions to the
"last minute", i.e. through rules in a CSS, perhaps a personal style sheet.
Why one would want to do that is the reason for the polemic.

In any event and irrespective of your feelings, I'd be grateful for
comments or feedback, either to the list or personally, off line. In
addition, if you have suggestions or questions or additions that you'd like
me to try, let me know. It's all grist for the mill.

Regards.                     ...edN