Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Slow startup of psgml emacs

Hello Dave,

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Dave Brooks, BCS Systems wrote:
> At 19:02 16/05/2002 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> >At 00:15 16/05/2002 -0400, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
> >
> >>I don't know Windows.  If you can run emacs from the RUN button, try
> >>running it with --no-init as a run flag; this loads Emacs alone
> >>without loading any of the library files.  Emacs itself is mostly just
> >>an engine, and your distro may have added all sorts of unnecessary
> >>things to the config script (.emacs in unix, don't know what it's
> >>called in windows).  If it loads fast with --no-init (assuming this
> >>flag works in windows) then you need to learn how to trim down your
> >>config file.
<snip/>
> Is there any option or flag that would trace or profile what the startup
> code is actually doing ?

Yet another flag :-): Try starting up your Emacs instance with the command
line parameter --debug-init. Alas, as the name already suggests it only
gives debug information if something in the init functions faults. I don't
know of a real function-trace to follow the init stuff. At least some info
is put into the minibuffer (under the status line) while starting up and

As a last resort you might want to inspect your .emacs (or possibly _emacs
with NTEmacs) and "simulate" what will be going on when executing the
contents in an elisp interpreter.

HTH,
Steffen.

--