Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: SGML vs XML

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 01:43:54PM -0700, Paul Grosso wrote:

> >> Thanks for those links. I lost them in a recent system failure. But this
> >> "profiling" technique is, I believe, an obfuscation and that's something
> >> that working on SGML has taught me to eschew. It has it's place but not in
> >> the depths of a 500+ page manual.
> >
> >It works for documents with virtually any length. And there is also one
> >advantage -- if you want conditional processing you are not forced to
> >learn new syntax (SGML conditional sections) you just use attribute with
> >some value.
>
> I admit I haven't read the refs, but relative to marked sections, there
> are limitations to using elements/attributes for profiling.
>
> If the DTD requires exactly one title per chapter, there is no way using
> element/attribute "profiling" that you can have two alternatives for the
> title depending on the profiling, because that won't be allowed by the DTD.
>
> With marked sections (organized so that only one of the marked section
> keyword parameters evaluate to INCLUDE at any given time), you don't have
> this problem.

Actually, there is a workaround for this in XML using
the <phrase> element.   You have one title element
but put two phrase elements in it, which are profiled.

<title>
<phrase role="foo">My Foo Product</phrase>
<phrase role="bar">My Bar Product</phrase>
</title>

Just make sure your profiling works or you get
both titles!

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com