Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Howto eliminate margins on FO coverpage?

I'm trying to make the coverpage of my book one big image, but cannot
get it to work correctly.
I'm using:
xsltproc     1.0.18
libfop-java  0.20.3
docbook-xsl  1.50.0

Here is the template I can up with that doesn't work:
<!-- CoverPage -->
<xsl:template name="book.titlepage.recto">
         <fo:block margin-left="-1in" margin-top="-2in"
		margin-right="-1in" margin-bottom="-2in"
                 padding-top="-1in" padding-bottom="-2in"
		background-color="red">
                 <fo:external-graphic height="11in"
			width="8.5in"
			src="i_am_a_big.jpeg"/>
         </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

What happens is the red background streches from side to side, but
only in the middle of the page (offset up a little).  The image is in
the upper-left corner, but doesn't fill the page.  I've tried many
variations on this template with no luck.  I'm not getting any
relevant diagnostics messages from the software.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Devin Bayer
http://elektrono.com/contact