Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: looking to document docbook preparation andpresentation on red hat

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 05:27:35PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   in order to not get completely swamped, i want to restrict this to
> > XML-based docbook only.
>
> ..and XSL-transforms only, or including DSSSL still?

i was wondering whether i wanted to do XSL transforms only, or try to
cover both.  what is the trend these days?  for brevity, i'd like to keep
things simple, so i'm open to advice here.

> > under this restriction, it seems obvious that
> > there are some RPMs that i have no need for.  as an example, i notice
> > there's a "docbook-utils" RPM included with the latest red hat beta.
> > however, it appears that the utilities that are included with that
> > RPM are for SGML only;
>
> Not so.  It can handle XML documents, but it's for applying DSSSL
> stylesheets not XSL.

hmmm ... that's not at all obvious from the "rpm -qi" on that RPM, or from
the man pages of the included binaries, which suggest pretty strongly that
those binaries are SGML-only.  perhaps the man pages should be modified
to make this clearer.

> >   you get the idea -- sort of a complete newbie's guide to getting
> > started writing XML-based docbook.  if anyone wants to point me at
> > sources on the web where i can start collecting this info, that would
> > be great.
>
> http://cyberelk.net/tim/docbook/ is probably a good place to start.

i'm already using that as one of my sources. :-)

rday