Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: need help with Passivetex errors (part 1 of 2))

Oh, I see part of the problem: when I resent the attachment, I failed to
send it to the DocBook APPS list. Let's try this again.

The attached zip file contains the results of my processing a test XML file
through XSLTPROC and then through PassiveTeX. I have the PassiveTeX
extensions set. For this test, I left the nominal.table.width at the
default value (6"). I also tried this test with nominal.table.width set at
5.5", with the same results. Shouldn't that take care of any relative table
width problems?

Note, the table on page 4 of the PDF.

I'll follow this message with the log (the mailer won't accept a zip of
both files). Note the question marks that start popping up at around line
643 in the .log file:

 ! Missing number, treated as zero.
 <to be read again>
                    \fotable5:3
 l.715 ...ble-row></fo:table-header><fo:table-body>

 <fo:table-row><fo:table-ce...

 ?
 ! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
 <to be read again>
                    \fotable5:3
 l.715 ...ble-row></fo:table-header><fo:table-body>

 <fo:table-row><fo:table-ce...

 ?

What does that mean, anyway?  I get 72 occurrences of this type of error,
but only when I include the table in the document.

(See attached file: pdferr.zip)

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
dgrace@us.ibm.com

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.

                      Norman Walsh
                      <ndw@nwalsh.com>         To:       Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
                                               cc:       Dennis Grace/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Janning Vygen <vygen@gmx.de>,
                      09/11/2002 03:13          docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
                      PM                       Subject:  Re: need help with Passivetex errors (part 1 of 2))

/ Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> was
heard to say:
| I am very aware that PassiveTeX has serious problems rendering tables.
| It does do a plausible job if you supply column widths, of course,
| but I don't think the Docbook stuff does this. In the TEI stylesheets
| I work out column widths when I make FO.

If you have extensions enabled and you specify the
nominal.table.width, then you'll get absolute column widths.

Sebastian, if you found a way to deal with relative column widths
(width="3*+2pc") without an extension function, I'd be delighted to
steal the code :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--