Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: xmlns attribute in xhtml output...

Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:52:19PM -0400, ed nixon wrote:
>>Processing my sdbook file with xsltproc and the xhtml/docbook.xsl from
>>version 1.55.0 on Win2K, I'm getting xmlns attributes in every html
>>output tag.
<snip/>
>   What version of xsltproc ? Try to upgrade to the latests (2.4.24/1.0.20)
> versions of libxml2/libxslt .

Same configuration of tools; xsltproc/xmllib seem to be current.

Looking at this problem some more this evening. It seems that I will get
the xmlns attribute in every (x)html element if I leave the output
method set to "xml"; when I change the output method the "html" the
xmlns attribute in tags disappears but I'm left with an HTML 4.01
Transitional DOCTYPE rather than what I want, which is xhtml 1.x
transitional. XSLTPROC overrides both the doctype-public and
doctype-system attributes if I set method="html".

Cross checking with Saxon 6.5 Win32 compiled, I get more or less what I
want as far as DOCTYPE and xmlns behaviour but it's doing very strange
things to the <span> elements that surround <em> elements in the source.

How do I turn off all the xmlns stuff and retain the xhtml transitional
DOCTYPE?

Thanks.                 ...edN