Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: XInclude doesn't validate with xmllint

Good point! Thanks.

kind regards
Peter Ring

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@caldera.com]
Sent: 3. oktober 2002 19:27
To: Peter Ring; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

<snip />

When I first read this, the final sentence suggested that
xi:fallback is required.  But that sentence is qualified
by the first paragraph, which says fallback is invoked
only when a resource error occurs (when the xinclude URI can't be
resolved).

I realize you may want to enforce having a fallback element
using the DTD, and that's fine.  But when you do that, you get no
indication from the processor that your intended xinclude
failed. You have to scan the output.

<snip />

So in a publishing environment, I'd rather not have the
fallback elements so that it is impossible to produce output
with missing content.  A nice combination might be to
declare a stock fallback element with an entity, and insert
that entity in each xinclude so that
draft processing can proceed. Then for final processing
declare the entity as empty so fallback is removed.

<snip />