Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XInclude doesn't validate with xmllint

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:28:29PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 05:52:05AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that
> > in general, validation should occur after XInclude processing.
>
> IIRC that would not meet the definition of "validity" for an XML
> document, or am I wrong ?

  If you can find a definition for an XML document, then maybe ;-)
I think it fits the definition for the stream of bytes coming out of
the XInclude process.
  The XML processing model is probably not something we should explore
too much in the DocBook list, there are other hot channels for this, but
I think it would be reasonable to document the expected processing
steps (possibly multiple path like FO vs. PassiveTex), if we didn't already.

> >   But allowing an extra attribute everywhere is quite simpler
> > than allowing an extra element everywhere :-)
>
> "everywhere" is probably too strong, i bet noone wants to use this for
> inline elements.

  Well, it's hard to predict a priori in what way people are gonna use
a relatively new tool, I would not constraint the use case while there
have been only little use so far.

Daniel