Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: column.count.back

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 08:15:16PM +0300, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> * Dave Pawson; <dpawson@nildram.co.uk> on 04 Oct, 2002 wrote:
> >>b) Should not appendix be forced to start on a new page
> >
> >Yes, IMO
>
> Ok then why it does not and I have to add an extra processing
> instruction to force it
> >
> >>2. If appendix is not back-matter what are back matters
> >Perhaps a personal choice, but I'd be happy with
> >appendix as bm.
>

> So if it is back matter then
>         <xsl.param column.count.back="2"/>
>
> should make my appendix pages with two column format but it does not.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Saxon + Docbook-XSL 1.55.0 + XEP 2.77 is the trio I use

In fact, the XSL FO stylesheets do not treat an appendix
in an article as back matter.  There is a special template
in fo/component.xsl with match="article/appendix" that
processes the appendix as if it were a section.
It doesn't start a new page-sequence.  I think that is
because the content model for article has appendix as
a sibling of sect1, which differs from the book content
model where appendix is a component (chapter, etc.).

An article is processed in fo as a single page-sequence
(its template starts and ends a page-sequence, with
all its content in between).  You would have to customize
the article template as well as the article/appendix
template to stop the article page sequence and start
a new page sequence for appendix.

You might be better off creating a book that contains
an article and an appendix.  Then the appendix will
be treated as backmatter.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com