Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Chunking changes

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 05:25:33PM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:

> I've just checked in some changes to the way that chunking works.
> These changes make it possible to write a customization layer that
> changes both the chunking elements and how they appear.
>
> If you've already got a customization layer that changes the chunking
> elements, you will probably have to make some updates.
>
> Instead of calling "apply-imports" directly from inside elements like
> chunk-all-sections and process-chunk, these templates now expect to be
> passed the content as a parameter. The default content for the
> parameter is still 'apply-imports', but it's now possible to pass
> alternate content.
>
> If you don't update your customization, you'll probably see all of the
> chunks processed twice. Apologies, in advance, for the trouble.

Hi Norm,
This looks very useful.  One thing I'm not clear about,
though. Is customizing the template named "chunk" in
chunk-common.xsl part of the process?  That's the template
that tests whether an element is a chunk.  That's a pretty
big template to customize, but it must be necessary since
something won't chunk if it doesn't pass that test.

And doesn't the "process-chunk" template need to be modified to
change the 'ischunk' test?  It is currently passing the
context node to the chunk template rather than the
value of $content, which is what should be tested, no?

And chunkfn also selects '.' to form the filename.
Shouldn't it also select $content?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what $content is supposed to
be.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com