Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Chunking changes

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:28:03AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> was heard to say:
> | This looks very useful.  One thing I'm not clear about,
> | though. Is customizing the template named "chunk" in
> | chunk-common.xsl part of the process?  That's the template
> | that tests whether an element is a chunk.  That's a pretty
> | big template to customize, but it must be necessary since
> | something won't chunk if it doesn't pass that test.
>
> Yes. I think I should probably re-work that as match templates in a mode.
>
> | And doesn't the "process-chunk" template need to be modified to
> | change the 'ischunk' test?  It is currently passing the
> | context node to the chunk template rather than the
> | value of $content, which is what should be tested, no?
>
> No, $content is just the transformed result that should be used for
> the context node. (Note it's $content not $context :-) If it's a
> chunk, then it goes in a chunk, otherwise it just goes in the output
> stream.
>
> | And chunkfn also selects '.' to form the filename.
> | Shouldn't it also select $content?
>
> Nope.
>
> | Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what $content is supposed to
> | be.
>
> It's just what you would have gotten from <apply-imports/> if you had
> done that.
>
> Why is this necessary?
>
> Because....
>
> 1. Chunking relies on calling <apply-imports/> to get the base transformation
>    for a given node.
>
> 2. The chunk stylesheet relies on matching against 'element', doing some stuff,
>    and then calling apply-imports.
>
> 3. But if you override the match template for 'element' in order to change how
>    it's transformed, you can never get to step '2'. (If you use apply-imports
>    to get there, then you get the formatting of the base stylesheet, not the
>    formatting you wanted.)
>
> So now you can test for chunking in your own template that overrides 'element'
> and pass down the formatted result that you want to use. Whew.
>
> Make any sense at all?

Yes, that clears it up.  I thought the changes were to
support arbitrary chunks being passed to the chunk
processor, but that is not the case.  A chunk
is still a properly identified chunk element, but the
customization lets you manipulate that element in
your own fashion before making the chunked file.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com