Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XInclude support in Saxon and Xalan

At 10:29 AM -0400 10/10/02, ed nixon wrote:

>Are we at the point with DocBook that it's possible to "black box"
>validation as Rusty suggests? Do it before or after or neither and,
>ultimately, swap and reorder the black boxes at will?

I have an existence proof that it is. For a while I was doing this
almost daily with Processing XML with Java (though that book is
pretty much complete and I've moved on to my next project). Sometimes
I validated before inclusion, sometimes after. Sometimes I used valid
documents. Sometimes I used invalid documents. Sometimes all of the
above.

Also, note that it's important to distinguish validation from entity
resolution.  They are often confused, but they can also be broken out
into separate processes. Validation requires entity resolution but
entity resolution does not require validation.