Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: conditionalization of XML

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:14:59PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> What would you consider a complete solution to this problem?  I'm not
> wedded to xmlif itself, I just need to get some work done that
> requires being able to conditionalize stuff.  If you think there's a
> better way to handle this, I'm open to it.

  XSLT. Your basic problem is to format to print and web version. I don't
see the core reason why this can't be possible with XSLT. You have troubles
but they are mostly related to the fact that you want to operate as a
preprocessor instead of symply relying on stylesheet customization, and/or
markup extensions, but I may be missing the point.
  Of course if you're using PIs to do this markup, it's by essence unstructured
and hence make it difficult to handle easilly at the XSLT level. Well
simply use markup extension to do this.

> >   Can't you just sed the output in case of errors ?
> >     s/^processed/orgiginal/
> > of the stderr stream doesn't sound hard to setup ...
>
> Fine if I'm processing errors in batch mode, yes.  But I mentioned Emacs
> for a reason...

  I don't use Emacs, but I don't see why you couldn't make it execute
a wrapper shell around the XSLt processor instead of running the processor
directly.

Daniel