Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: conditionalization of XML

Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 06:14:59PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > What would you consider a complete solution to this problem?  I'm not
> > wedded to xmlif itself, I just need to get some work done that
> > requires being able to conditionalize stuff.  If you think there's a
> > better way to handle this, I'm open to it.
>
>   XSLT. Your basic problem is to format to print and web version.

I already tried this route, unsing Jirka Kosek's profiling stylesheet.
It was because that was such a serious pain in the butt that I started
tool-building.

"Let's do everything in XSLT" makes a nice theory but it falls down
hard in practice.  The first serious stylesheet hack I tried ran
smack bang into an XSLT limit that shouldn't have been there.

>   I don't use Emacs, but I don't see why you couldn't make it execute
> a wrapper shell around the XSLt processor instead of running the processor
> directly.

xmlto provides such a wrapper shell.  I'm digging into my references an
shell to see if there is a way to redirect the standard error of a
process without stepping on stdout.