Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: No fo:page-sequence for refentry in part

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 02:47:14PM -0400, Jeff Beal wrote:
> I have a document with the following structure:
>
> <book>
>  <chapter/>
>  <chapter/>
>  <chapter/>
>  <part>
>    <chapter/>
>     <refentry/>
>     <refentry/>
>     <refentry/>
>     <refentry/>
>  </part>
> </book>
>
> When I build FO using the DocBook XSL stylesheets v. 1.56.1 (Saxon
> processor), none of the refentry elements are in a page-sequence.
>
> Here is a minimal test case that demonstrates the behavior:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
>                       "file:/D:/Downloads/docbook-dtd/DocBookx.dtd">
> <book>
>   <title>Quick Test</title>
>   <part>
>     <title>Quick Test</title>
>     <refentry>
>       <refnamediv>
>  <refname>Command</refname>
>  <refpurpose>To verify bug before filing</refpurpose>
>       </refnamediv>
>       <refsection>
>  <title>Some stuff</title>
>  <para>This may or may not work</para>
>       </refsection>
>     </refentry>
>   </part>
> </book>
>
> This document creates an fo document with (approximately) the following
> structure:
>
> <fo:root>
>  <fo:layout-master-set ... />
>  <fo:page-sequence ... />
>  <fo:page-sequence ... />
>  <fo:block ... />
> </fo:root>
>
> XEP complains that fo:block is not a valid child for fo:root.  Before I file
> this as a bug, does anybody see anything I'm doing that's completely off
> base?  I've been able to create PDF's of our other books using XEP, so it
> seems that I have the process right.

I think this is a combination of elements that the
stylesheet isn't handling right.  The way I read
refentry.xsl, a <refentry> element starts a page
sequence only if it is the root element or inside
<reference>.

Deciding which elements start page-sequences is tricky
because you cannot nest page-sequences.  Yet elements
that might start page sequences can be contained in other
elements that start page sequences.  That means the
stylesheet has to know all the combinations to sort out
which element can or cannot start a page sequence.

In your combination, it looks like no element started the
page sequence to contain the refentries.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com